Monday, October 15, 2012

July 3 - short day


The view from our tents over the swamp area, with caribou grazing below a fog bank

An uneventful day today, quite the contrast from yesterday. Alan and I did the 3s, terminating 12 nests (finding them eaten by foxes) and finding one Semipalmated Sandpiper, which I banded. We were back around 1:30, and spent the afternoon lounging around talking, doing a crossword, and then I proceeded to take my first nap of the trip, probably one of the longest periods in my life I’ve gone without a nap!

An adorable Brown Lemming looking bemused

With tomorrow being the 4th of July, we all have it “off”, so we are going to hike to the nearby gravel river floodplain, doing our work on the way, and build a big bonfire to celebrate. Should be a fun time, it will be a new area that we haven’t seen as of yet this trip, out towards the mountains.
Down to only 78 active nests today (27.3%), our net -11 day for just us two surely did not help!

The eggs in the new Semipalmated Sandpiper nest today - with one odd one out!

No comments: